Monday 12 January 2015

Barred Flying Lizard (Draco taeniopterus)

Whilst out dragonfly hunting deep under heavily tree-lined cover at Kaeng Krachan National Park, something landed right on my head. I thought it was a leaf or a twig ... until I tried to brush it off. Whatever it was leapt from my head and landed on the tree in front of me. Turns out it was a Barred Flying Lizard or Draco taeniopterus.* Its alternative vernacular name is The Thai Flying Lizard. It's the only one I have seen and is uncommon. It quickly folded its small wing flaps away and scurried up the tree to safety. I managed to get a couple of fairly OK shots, but it was seriously quick. Until the next time ...
 
*Once again I have been corrected by Joe Hartman. I thought it was a flying gecko! Many thanks for the ID and additional information.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. This is a flying lizard, not a flying gecko. The species is Draco taeniopterus, common name Barred Flying lizard or even Thai Flying lizard. Uncommon species.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete