Tuesday 13 January 2015

Juvenile Forest Crested Lizard (Calotes emma)

It was July 2012. I was at the stream that runs through Nam Nao NP HQ, Petchabun. The shallow, clear stream turned chocolate brown in a matter of minutes and was rising rapidly. The rain was intensifying and I was getting seriously wet, as too was my camera gear. I was panicking. Desperately trying to protect my camera gear, I made a for the exit. Then, in the corner of my eye, I noticed a very small lizard in the leaf litter at the side of the path. I had to stop. It was something I clearly hadn't seen before. I managed to get a few shots of this little fellow as even the pathway began to flood. I helped him climb up onto a tree, enabling him to escape the flood onslaught. I, too, just about made it back without destroying  my gear. As for the lizard, I have no idea what it is. Some kind of leaf litter lizard? That's what I have named it since.

Since I posted this, Joe Hartman believes it is probably a juvenile Forest Crested Lizard or Calotes emma again or very similar sub-species. So, great find, but no cigar with another species. Thanks, Joe!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment