Wednesday 14 January 2015

Giant Asian Mantis (Hierodula grandis)

At the lower reaches of Nam Nao NP, Petchabun, I was searching for dragonflies along a very quiet stream when I saw a very large praying mantis floating in the stream. I thought it was dead. I picked it out and it was very much alive. I placed it back in the tree and went to take some photos, when it jumped in again. It did this 3-4 times until eventually it seemed to settle. No idea why. Anyway, I sent photos to Pisuth Ek-Amnuay and he IDd it as the Giant Asian Mantis or Hierodula grandis. I hope to see this species again, though not one that likes swimming! Many thanks to Pisuth for the ID.
 
Constantly cleaning after swimming!
 

 
It happily sat on my hand for long periods.


Here it was going for a mid-afternoon dip in the stream (again and again).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment